Biodentical Hormone Balance with Pellet Therapy
This is a well-documented method of delivering bioidentical hormones that utilizes small pellets about the size of a grain of rice that are painlessly inserted under the skin (the procedure is less painful than having your blood drawn). We’ve found the easiest and best place to insert them is under the skin of the lateral buttocks. The hormones in the pellets are bioidentical (exact molecular match of human hormone) and consist of either estradiol, the most important of the three female human estrogens, and testosterone. Some women are surprised to hear that they might need testosterone replacement as well as estrogen replacement. Perimenopausal women and post-menopausal women usually need some of both. Testosterone levels are usually around 5-10% that of a man. Testosterone helps with a number of issues including libido, mood stabilization, brain function, and bone density.
Pellet therapy is used to defeat the symptoms of menopause and perimenopause. Suzanne Somers has authored two very informative books, “The Sexy Years” and “Ageless,” where she describes the symptoms of menopause as the Seven Dwarfs of Menopause – Itchy, Bitchy, Sweaty, Sleepy, Bloated, Forgetful, and All Dried Up. These symptoms respond extremely well to subcutaneous bioidentical hormone replacement therapy.
Inserting these little pellets into the body is sort of like inserting tiny new ovaries, because they do what the ovaries used to do – slowly release hormones into the bloodstream in a manner similar to how the ovaries did.
Many women have tried various kinds of hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and have simply been dissatisfied with the way they have felt. Many patients don’t do well on any other form of HRT except subdermal bioidentical pellet therapy.
How are they put in?
Using a local anesthetic, they are painlessly inserted under the skin of the hip, through a tiny incision, using a small insertion device. After the pellets are inserted, a small piece of tape is placed to close the incision. The whole thing takes only a few minutes, and the amount of discomfort one feels is actually less than getting a blood test.
Your hormone levels are checked before and after your first insertion, and as needed after that. Based upon world medical literature, years of experience, and thousands of patients, we know what levels will usually produce optimal results.
Indication for Pellet Therapy
Symptoms of Menopause/Perimenopause
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Mental fogginess/forgetfulness
- Decreased sex drive
- Menstrual Migraines
Symptoms of Andropause
- Decreased sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction (ED)
- Decreased or absent morning erection
- Mental fogginess
- Increased sleepiness after dinner
- Decreased sports performance
- Prostate cancer
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- Cervical Cancer
- Certain Breast Cancers
- Certain psychiatric disorders
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Anxiety Neurosis
What can I expect bioidentical subdermal hormones to do for me?
The quality of life given back to every man or woman is excellent. You may experience any or all of the following.
- Increased energy levels
- Restore or increase sexual drive
- Consistency in moods – no more roller coaster effect
- Relief from anxiety and depression
- Decreased body fat
- Increased mental clarity and focus
- Greater capacity for getting the body in shape
BENEFITS OF BIOIDENTICAL HORMONE REPLACEMENT:
Bioidentical hormone replacement involves giving your body additional amounts of estradiol (the most important of the three human estrogens. The others are estriol and estrone), testosterone, and progesterone. When these hormones are replaced in men and women whose levels are low, the following benefits occur:
- Relief of all or most symptoms of menopause
- Protection against osteoporosis
- Reduced risk of breast cancer
- Reduced risk of colon cancer
- Reduction in abdominal fat
- More energy
- More mental clarity
- Stronger bones and muscles
- Less depression and anxiety
- More stamina
- Normalization of libido (sex drive)
- Reduction in ‘menstrual migraines’ in women
- Enhanced erectile ability in men
- Prostate protection in men
POSSIBLE ADVERSE EFECTS (mainly women):
- Vaginal bleeding is not uncommon
- Breast tenderness
- Increase in emotional sensitivity
- Could trigger more headaches instead of fewer
- Sleepiness (progesterone)
- Pelvic pain
- Rash from patches or infection at pellet site